MANUAL LYMPHATIC DRAINAGE, a pleasant way to take care of your health!
Have you ever heard about Manual Lymphatic Drainage?
The lymphatic system is a network of tissues and organs that helps eliminate waste, toxins, and excess fluids from the body.
Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) is a therapeutic massage technique that aims to stimulate the lymphatic system and encourage the movement of lymph fluids in the body.
In the 1930s, a Danish massage therapist, Emil Vodder and his wife, Estrid, developed a gentle, completely painless and rhythmic massage that uses light pressure and repetitive movements to stimulate the lymphatic vessels and help move lymph fluids towards the lymph nodes.
The massage is usually performed on the skin, using a combination of stretching, circular, and pumping movements, and it can be applied to various parts of the body, including the face, neck, arms, legs, and abdomen.
The benefits of MLD are numerous and include:
- Reducing swelling and edema: MLD is often used to treat conditions that cause fluid buildup in the body, such as lymphedema, which is a condition where the lymphatic system is damaged or removed. It helps to move excess fluid from the affected area and reduce swelling.
- Boosting immune function: The lymphatic system plays a crucial role in the body’s immune function. MLD stimulates the lymphatic system, increase the production of white blood cells, and enhance the body’s ability to fight infections.
- Relieving pain and discomfort: MLD helps to alleviate pain and discomfort caused by conditions such as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and arthritis. The massage can help to reduce inflammation and improve circulation, which leads to pain relief.
- Improving digestion: The lymphatic system is closely linked to the digestive system. For this reason, MLD can help to improve digestion and relieve symptoms such as bloating, constipation, and abdominal pain.
- Enhancing relaxation and reducing stress: As it is a gentle and soothing massage, this method can help to promote relaxation and reduce stress. The massage can help to lower cortisol levels, which is a hormone associated with stress.
- Promoting healing after surgery: MLD is also used to promote healing and reduce scarring after surgery. The massage can help to reduce swelling and improve circulation, which can aid in the healing process.
- Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) can also improve skin quality. The lymphatic system plays a crucial role in maintaining healthy skin, as it helps to remove toxins and waste products from the body. When the lymphatic system is not functioning properly, toxins and waste can build up in the body, leading to skin problems such as acne, rosacea, and eczema. As MLD improves lymphatic circulation and stimulates the flow of lymph fluids in the body, it helps to remove toxins and waste products from the skin. This also improves the appearance and quality of the skin. Not only this, MLD can also help to reduce inflammation and improve blood flow, which can help to promote healing and reduce the appearance of scars and blemishes.
- It is also suitable for pregnant women.
During pregnancy, many women experience swelling in the legs, ankles, and feet due to the increased pressure on the circulatory system. MLD can help to reduce this swelling by increasing lymphatic flow and improving circulation. This can help to relieve discomfort and reduce the risk of developing more serious conditions such as deep vein thrombosis.
In addition to reducing swelling, MLD can also promote relaxation and reduce stress. Pregnancy can be a stressful time, and MLD can help to ease tension and promote a sense of calm. This can be especially beneficial for women who are experiencing anxiety or depression during pregnancy.
However, it is important to note that not all massage therapists are trained in MLD, and pregnant women should only receive massage from therapists who are experienced in working with pregnant women and have been trained in prenatal massage techniques. It is also important to consult with a healthcare provider before starting any new treatment during pregnancy.
If you are interested in trying MLD, in VivaBody we are qualified therapists who have experience in this technique. We can help tailor the massage to your specific needs and ensure that it is performed safely and effectively.
Regular MLD sessions can help to improve your lymphatic function, reduce swelling, and promote overall health and wellness.
If all this makes sense to you, and you think you could benefit from it, book an appointment and give it a try!
“Your health is your own responsibility,
but we can help you to achieve your best!”
Carol, VIvaBody Team.